So It Begins: Reefteck's 120 Reef Build Thread

Looks great! Super clean job under that stand! Love that yellow belly!

One question for you though- are those mp40 gen 1's or gen 2? How long have you had them, and any problems. I had a mp20 with no problems and am considering an mp40 for a "possible new build"! Just wondering your opinions as I have had some other friends have nothing but problems with the mp40's.

I've only had these vortecs for about 3 months. They are both MP40w gen 2's. I haven't had any problems what-so-ever with them, they are a dream come true! I've been able to set them, sync them, anti sync them, etc.

Thanks for your endorsements! Pretty clean job, I've got some wires I want to re-run, and I am going to use a latex sealant to paint the 2x4's with this spring when I can open the house up. Wish I would have thought of that before, I'm also going to do that in the canopy. I also have plans about that time to redo the paint on the skin and canopy all together, and rebuild the doors. I want to get some type of urethane coat for sealing the wood on the outside of the canopy and stand as well.

Nice looking tank. What is the nano right next to it?

It's my refugium, full of chaetomorphia and all the stupid mushrooms my wife won't let me get rid of! Thanks man!

Flameback angels were available this week. If you want I can call tomorrow and have him throw one on the order...

Do that! YES! Imma txt ya!

Jeff, Eric and I put in an order to MidwestFrags.com, I got some Tyree Pink Lemonade, ORA Red Planet Acro, and Blue Tipped Efflo coming Saturday!

Yeah I didn't use Krylon on my back wall, it's regular Rustoleum, I figured it didn't have to be water proof since it wasn't going to be IN the tank, I polished off all the residue from the frame and everywhere where the spray dust got. I almost went black because I had some Krylon Black on hand, but then KT and I both voted that we liked the blue better, it just makes everything seem brighter!

I thought about painting the back of my new tank but then my wife reminded me how often I changed the background in the past. So I just decided to use 2 sided background. The back of my 75gal frag set-up is painted black and it looks ok but I don't think I would like it on my display.
-Bill

Sorry I haven't takent the time to update my thread recently. Blew a fuse on the chiller, jeffy had a spare for me. Then last night a seam on one of my RO canisters blew out and soaked my wall in the closet. I'm glad I ran all my electrical through PVC conduit!

Thanks to Bill for the awesome new frags, and at a great price! Got some superman monti, sunset monti and meteor shower. The meteor shower is my fav. a real nice piece Bill! ::thumbsup1:: The sunset monti is already encrusting onto the epoxy I put down around him! The most anticipated piece was the superman though, I can't wait for him to get bigger is what I really want! it's at a weird angle, but I'mma leave him to grow in, then I'll be able to really splendor at him.

This weekend comes Tyree Pink Lemonade Acro, Montipora Setosa, and an ORA Red Planet frag.

Took a video of me overfeeding the tank this evening (like I do every night)

<object width="600" height="396" ><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.facebook.com/v/1392641576505" /><embed src="http://www.facebook.com/v/1392641576505" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="600" height="396"></embed></object>

Enjoy!

I've been battling dinoflagellates for the last week or so, and I think I'm starting to get the upper hand. I've been running my pH @8.5, minimal feeding, wet skimming, and I blacked out the tank for 48hrs over the weekend.

Also I've added a new weapon in my arsenal. I kicked that Kent Nautilus EX to the curb and installed a Reef Octopus Recirculating 150. It's rated at 230, so it oughta get the job done. Anything is better than that Kent!

25037_1399993600301_1246129485_1170172_5080384_n.jpg

Still breaking it in. Wonder how long it will take...

25037_1399993560300_1246129485_1170171_8351989_n.jpg

It is a mammoth and it is really nicely constructed, I'm really surprised with the quality, excellent!

Over feeding backfired on yea hugh? That octo should help out alot. I love mine it skimmes llike crazy.

Update here on my thread, I must proclaim; I've nearly beaten the dinos totally!!!!! Just a few little strands on one coral left. Everything else has been recovering and pretty much dino free for a week at least now.

Solving the problem:
I ran upon an interesting article about some types of dinos that thrive in nitrogen poor water, and the solution was simple. Stop doing water changes! I finally received my Sailfert test after stopping water changes for a couple of days, and was preparing to hold off for a few weeks. I checked the low range NO3 kit and low and behold there was NOT A TRACE! Down to ultra low <0.1ppm, almost non existent. No phosphate, and whatever trace elements (organic or inorganic..IDK) are in fresh salt mix they (the dinos) were thriving on.

So I skimmed wet, blacked out the tank for a couple of 48 hour periods (which really killed me!), and resisted the urge to do weekly 10% water changes (that wasn't hard), boosted pH a little ~8.3-8.4, boosted dKh to 10 (from 7), AND started feeding like crazy again (held off on the AA's), additionally I changed activated carbon out every two days to remove any organic/humus in (and dissolved throughout because of) the new sandbed (possibly) feeding the beast. Two, maybe three weeks later now I'm dino free.

(Disclaimer:) Apparently not all types of dinos respond to this type of treatment! But if all else fails give it a shot! Especially if it's onset is associated with a new or enhanced carbon/bacteria/zeo dosing routine.

Moving forward:
I'm going to take a more careful measured approach to ULNS and make sure that my nitrates are still detectable, maybe go to every other day carbon dosing, a little more frequent or heavier coral feeding. Prior to this dino incident I have to say I've never seen PE like this in my life!!!! It was unreal, I had been feeding corals every other night with oyster eggs, AA's, concentrated zoo/phyto, and rotifers. All of these acros had more massive PE at night than in the day! One piece is just this fuzz ball! Like a freaking LPS or something, it was seriously unreal. When things get back to that I will take some night pix!

Right now I'm trying to get my CA rxr dialed back in as I am increasing daylight period back to normal.

I'm switching to 250watt Radiums on Galaxy dimmable ballasts. For energy savings and to re-adjust my color specturm. I want a bulb that leaves a little icy blue behind, it might just be the insane intensity of these 400watt XM 20k's and they're pulling out coral colors for sure, but they just don't give me the overall look that I want.

Who knows when I might post again!? You know...I'll shoot for this time next week, by then I'll be done with this slough of exams this next two weeks!

cya,
Andy

Last edited:
Glad you got your dino problem under control. I'm thinking of switching to radiums as well after I where these bulbs out that is. I to have had insane PE I think it may be in part due to the mp40's for me. I have also been doseing vite C and that stuff has colored up my sps like crazy.
-Bill

I hate threads without frequent FTS's so here's an update!

4528269307_1986a28035.jpg

Here a few pix of my colonies and a few new specimens.

4528269167_6cca882b04.jpg

4528900858_7a01936271.jpg

4528268419_e0ea49e091.jpg

And the new frags:

4528268281_6c13883982.jpg

4528269047_4a9714b073.jpg

4528268727_376c22108b.jpg

4525981873_822ff0e0c0.jpg

Yep that's all for now folks!

Yeah he looks pretty good. His polyps are bright bright yellow, but they barely come out during the day, at night they're fully extended and he looks great. I wish I could get PE like that during the daytime out of it.

I forgot to add a picture of my super man monti frag! He's totally encrusted the plug now, really growing like a monster, the colors are amazing! Thanks again bill!

Hey hows your dino sitiation going?

Last edited:
It's not dino after all just cayno. It just started out strange. It's clearing up I quit doseing my carbon source for now my thought is that it would feed the cayno and have been cutting back on the feeding and a feww water changes.
-Bill

Back