The Nano Reefs DIY thread...

New Mamo

New Mamo

I am new in nanos. I need to now what type of lights I need for the nano 20X20X15. Also what return pump I need to use. The tank has the fiilter incorpoarted to it. Also how much live rock, sand. I will do a combine fish and few corals.

Please I need advice of the pros.

Thanks

Does anyone have a really good do it yourself writeup on how to do an in cabinet refugium on a Biocube 29 HQI?
I have seen a few pics of the fuges in the cabinet under the aquarium, but really want to know where and how to drill the holes.

i did a small DIY media basket for my 6 gallon zoa tank. a large % of the water was passing by the right side of the filter and not actually getting filtered. here is what the flow looked like. notice how a fairly large amount is passing by the right side?
DSC_3385.jpg

stock filter out.
DSC_3392.jpg

so i cut 3 of these for "levels" for the new filter
DSC_3386.jpg

then i used an 80 tooth saw blade on the table saw and cut some acrylic
DSC_3388.jpg

here is the acrylic weld i used
DSC_3387.jpg

so i built it 3 sided, so i can put the media in the open side, and the outside wall of the tank acts like the 4th side. here it is
DSC_3389.jpg

DSC_3390.jpg

and here it is with filter floss in the top, carbon in the middle (waiting on chemi-pure for 3rd chamber)
DSC_3391.jpg

and here it is in action
DSC_3394.jpg

notice how the whole water collumn is going into it now! it actually cleared up the water after a water change about twice as fast. let me know what you guys think

Another DIY Media Basket / Rack BC 14

Another DIY Media Basket / Rack BC 14

Thought I would throw my media basket on... I understand they are cheap enough to buy, however I like to build stuff... I used plexi glass, sealant, the front of an old box fan to make shelves... and the stock false bottom for a bottom, and cut the over flow to drop three waterfalls into the basket.
Without top and bottom
IMG_0525.jpg

Top and Bottom
IMG_0532.jpg

Installed next to BC14 Nanoskimmer
IMG_0538.jpg

Good job stevie t would be proud I also built my own but used super glue because i wasn't sure about the acrylic glue seems to be holdnig on

Back