5.56 225 Peninsula reboot

five.five-six

As some most of my friends know, my TOTM quality 6' SPS tank for under $1k? The 5.56 build thread; AKA a really bad idea has fallen on hard times. It really wasn't because of the budget (which I went over on by about $500) but just reefing pitfalls. I had an algae outbreak and one of my algae treatments required removing the skimmer cup which sprayed the chrome bezel om a 12" fan with saltwater and dripped copper and other heavy metals in the tank.

I recently happened into this 72" X 24" tall X 30" wide peninsula. starfire on the long sides. In a few weeks or so, I will be welding up a steel stand. 32" constructed of 2"X3" square tube #12.

Now I am working on the overflow. It came with a ghost overflow but I think I am going to abandon that. Several reasons but mostly I don't want the tank sticking out any further in the room than it has to.

There are 4 holes in the bottom back of the tank.

1" bulkhead will be my return.

Next

2" bulkhead will be wires for lights and pumps.

Next

2" bulkhead will be my durso style overflow.

Last

1" bulkhead will be emergency overflow.

I'm going to do a coast to coat overflow box 8"n from the back of the tank. I think in 1/2" black acrylic. When I cut the acrylic, how much room should I leave for the silicone? the inside dimension of the tank is 29" and I think 1/8" inch for silicone, so 28 3/4"?

eP0GmT.jpg

Perfect dims for a peninsula tank. Lookong forward to this coming together.

Nice score, that is the tank dimensions that I have chosen for my next tank.

Congrats Mark

Thanks guys :) I'm pretty stoked myself but I have a lot of work ahead.

I think I am going to make the stand 32" tall. Keep the tank lower for kid viewing, maintenance and a little edge in the case of an earthquake.

I'm trying to decide if I should get the fancy colored PVC pipe for my plumbing.

I think I'm going to do a Herbie overflow

Looks like I stumbled across a solution for my lighting. I was going to build a floating canopy with halides and suspend it with wires but I found a guy who has had a Giesemann Spectra 72” sitting in his garage for years and just wants to get rid of it.

nice tank going to be a great build for you.

Yea Richard, I'm really stoked on it.

Just picked up a 72" Giesemann fixture for a song. Guy tore down his tank some time ago and just wanted it out of his garage. Included a lot of bulbs including 3 new and 3 almost new radium 20K and galaxy electronic ballests. I think I'm sticking with my blue wave 7's but it's nice to have those to play around with.

20 minutes of wipeing all the dust off it and the fixture looks about like new.

Yea Richard, I'm really stoked on it.

Just picked up a 72" Giesemann fixture for a song. Guy tore down his tank some time ago and just wanted it out of his garage. Included a lot of bulbs including 3 new and 3 almost new radium 20K and galaxy electronic ballests. I think I'm sticking with my blue wave 7's but it's nice to have those to play around with.

20 minutes of wipeing all the dust off it and the fixture looks about like new.
Pic of light! I want to see my setups

Unless the Galaxy ballasts have the overdrive “HQI/Super Lumens” setting, I think the M80s are all you need.

Perhaps you should name this thread “...under $10k...”

Unless the Galaxy ballasts have the overdrive "œHQI/Super Lumens" setting, I think the M80s are all you need.

Perhaps you should name this thread "œ...under $10k..."
LOL

No, it's going to be under $3k

It's funny, the galaxy ballests don't have the super lumens setting. I tested them a bit last night against the blue wave 7 and not only do the radiums run bluer on the electronics, I checked with my pyrometer and the Giesemann housing runs about 10 degrees hotter after 10 minutes of running. Go figure. Would have expected the magnetic to run hotter

Ordering the steel for my stand today.

Top frame and bottom frame will be 2”X3” #12 with 1” X 1” #12 cross members.

Vertical members will be 2”X3” #12 as well with gussets made of 1”X1” #12.

One center support on either side 2”X3” #12. Overall the stand will be 32 1/2” High including leveling feet.

Tank was $500, stand is under $500. Light was almost free, under $250 in plumbing parts ... I’m getting hooked up on a sump... well under $3K done.

just wait till you do the cabinet finish work... that will add up super fast.

Here is the stand being loaded in my truck at IMS (some assembly required) $347.74

My buddy with the MIG welder and industrial space is giving me leveling feet, truck-liner is about $80 to finish the metal and I'll just use white fiberglass coated Masonite panels to cover it.

NPkVpV.jpg

Back