Finally My Custom Miracle Build with Fish Room

Let's Catch Up - Part 4
09/28/2016
I finally got some drywall put up. Drywall is a pain in the butt especially hanging it by yourself. The fish room has the mildew resistant (green) drywall. I figured since its going to be a high moisture area better to take some precautions.

IMG_8705 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_8707 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_8709 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

02/11/2017
And then there was mud. I hate mud! Mud and sanding is the worse but the end results are great.

IMG_0242-4 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_0244-4 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_0245-4 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_0249-4 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

I forgot when I swapped the door out but I added the 48" French door to enter the room. I think it will make the entrance grand when entering the back area.
IMG_0250-4 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Glad you're back in. Can't wait to see the progress.

gioNVA - Francis Welcome aboard. I'm glad to be getting back in man. I am hoping I can get back to having healthy corals once the tank is up and running. Hopefully your tank is doing well.

Let's Catch Up - Part 5
02/11/2017
Had my buddy Tom39 (Tom) come by and help me with ceiling seams. I had pretty much completed all seams but the ceiling seams were giving me issues. Tom was kind enough to come by on a Saturday and literally spend the whole day helping me.

02/20/2017
Finally got around to putting some primer on the walls in the fish room. The first coat was soaked up by the drywall. So I will now need another coat.

I need to move the sink and finish the drywall behind the sink. Once that is done I can add the last coat of primer and then apply some paint.

IMG_0365 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr​

03/02/2017
Ordered my new tank. Below is the description on the invoice:
82" X 40" X 26" HIGH CUSTOM
AQUARIUM 3/4" GLASS A/A
STARPHIRE 2 LONG & 1
SHORT TEMPERED BOTTOM
WITH 4 HOLES 2-1/2" INLINE
5" OFF END FULL WIDTH
BLACK DIVIDER W 1-1/2"
TEETH INTERNAL
EUROBRACE 4-1/2" WIDE
EUROBRACE VERTICAL
STRIPS​

And with that we are all caught up on my progress.

Great looking room! It looks like you are coming along fast here!

Brunzy - Welcome aboard or good luck on the post minimum.

what did you decide for the stand???

SPotter - Steve speaking of stand I was working on a design today. I was going to share :).

03/16/2017
Stand Design v1.0
I worked on my stand design a bit today! I sent it over to my builder to see if they have any concerns. This may change but I will share version 1.0. The stand as designed has a top rail made from 2" x 4" steel. The rest of the stand is made from 2" x 2" steel. Corner gussets are 4" x 4" triangles. Top and bottom gussets are 1.5" x 1.5" squares. All have 1/4" holes that I will use to attach the front and top. The stand will have a 3/4" sheet of plywood on the top and the face of the stand. The foam pad will be 5/8" from what the builder said. Overall dimensions of the stand is 84" L x 42" W x 39" H. The stand will have removable self leveling feet. Another feature it will have is a walk-rail. This will be great since I will have no front access to the tank. With the walk-rail I will be able to access the front of the tank with out any issues.

So did you get any work done this past weekend??

Cant slow down on this you have to keep moving forward.

I agree with worm5406, what progress if any were you able to make this weekend?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Those are nice dimensions for the tank. Looking forward to seeing this progress. Don't be surprised how much time you spend looking in through the sides of your tank in the fish room. :0)

Following

Dragon1979 - Welcome aboard.

So did you get any work done this past weekend??

Cant slow down on this you have to keep moving forward.

worm5406 - Larry stop being funny. We (including you) were out framing a workout room this weekend.

I agree with worm5406, what progress if any were you able to make this weekend?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tom39 - Tom welcome aboard...that goes for you too...lol. We (including you) were out framing a workout room this weekend.

Those are nice dimensions for the tank. Looking forward to seeing this progress. Don't be surprised how much time you spend looking in through the sides of your tank in the fish room. :0)

McPuff - Welcome aboard. Part of the reason I ended up getting Starphire on the end and the back was because I knew how much time I would spend looking through the tank. I like taking pictures as well so I am expecting to get some great shots through the clear glass. On my old tank that was in the wall like this one I spent a lot of time looking at the corals from the end of the tank also.

03/17/2017
I found out I don't have to change my stand design. Derek at Miracles signed off on the design which is great. I sent the stand design off to a local company the same day to see if they could do the project.

I also realized I had not posted the schematics for the tank. The main display area is roughly 73.75" x 40" x 26". The other area if my overflow section. I plan on using a Herbie Overflow setup. Bulkheads will be provided by Miracles as well.

03/18/2017
No progress was made in the fish room. Saturday I spent the day with some buddies (worm5406 - (Larry), Tom39 - (Tom), and RJT - (Richard) framing out a workout room and running electric for Richard. I did however do a 30 gal water change on my temp set up to try to fight some nitrate issues.

03/20/2017
Today I spoke to Chuck over at Capitol Heights Iron Works and they will be making my tank stand to my specifications. It's something exciting about designing something and then having it built. As they make progress I will post some pictures. Hopefully the end product turns out like I envision it in my mind. I am I am debating if I should get it power coated or not. If I don't powder coat it I have seen a few things people use to protect the metal. I did my down payment today so once the material arrives he said it will be about 3 weeks to complete. Things are slowly coming together :).

worm5406 - Larry stop being funny. We (including you) were out framing a workout room this weekend.

03/18/2017
No progress was made in the fish room. Saturday I spent the day with some buddies (worm5406 - (Larry), Tom39 - (Tom), and RJT - (Richard) framing out a workout room and running electric for Richard. I did however do a 30 gal water change on my temp set up to try to fight some nitrate issues.

Yes and we did have fun! Even if we did not have a dust pan.

Yes and we did have fun! Even if we did not have a dust pan.

worm5406 - Larry I am still chuckling about us not having a dust pan and the look on Richard's face when we asked why we could not use the one from upstairs in the kitchen.

Following along and paying close attention as I am looking for a house in MD with Fish Room Space lol. Great work by the way!!!

Following and looking forward to build updates! great clean work.

ddanis60 - Welcome aboard.

Any progress?

worm5406 - Larry work has gotten pretty crazy so I really have not made much progress.

Following along and paying close attention as I am looking for a house in MD with Fish Room Space lol. Great work by the way!!!

brownmarc - Welcome aboard. Look for a place with a morning room and an unfinished basement area. I knew I was set as soon as I saw the morning room with the unfinished part in the basement.

03/23/2017
During my ultra excitement about my stand I forgot to take into account the width of my fish room doorway. I am working with my stand builder now to revamp my stand design. This is what I sent over to him:

I also worked on my back wall table. I need to take pictures of the work I did. During the process I found out how uneven my floors really are. I built a temp stand for my sink as well but after doing a water change in my temp tank the sink is a bit high. I am going to redo the height. With the amount of space left over I am going to go with two 65 Gallon Norwesco Vertical Tanks.

03/24/2017
I put project on Thumbtack to get a quote for how much it would cost to have the floor leveled. I am going to get an estimate to see how much it will run. based on the number of shims I will have to use I have to come up with a better plan.

Subscribed.

Consider DIY floor leveling? Mix N Pour leveler is easy to use.

iced98lx - Welcome aboard. That is the plan. The area has so many spots that are uneven it's it had to mix enough in one shot to fix the issue. If their estimates are two high I will need to rent one of those cement mixers so I can mix several bags at one time to do bigger pours.

Back