Finally My Custom Miracle Build with Fish Room

if you can wrangle some friends, you can mix 5 gallons at a time and pour while they are mixing the next one etc etc.

I would only worry about leveling the area where the tank stand will be. had this issue with my tank back in NJ. that tank was 72x36 so we built a form with 1x2's that was slightly larger than the tank footprint. poured the mix into the area and leveled it out. I don't see a need to do the entire area of the room.

I would only worry about leveling the area where the tank stand will be. had this issue with my tank back in NJ. that tank was 72x36 so we built a form with 1x2's that was slightly larger than the tank footprint. poured the mix into the area and leveled it out. I don't see a need to do the entire area of the room.

I feel better about what I did with my tank after reading this. That was almost my exact same process recently. I propped up the critical points with metal shims to level and then filled everything in to the forms with self leveling.

I used some heavy duty double sided tape to secure the forms to the floor (cement) and contain the leveling cement as much as possible.

I also ran a layer of duct tape on the inside of the forms prior to pouring to help them release easier from the cement.

Capped everything off with the trimwork to hide the ugly.

if you can wrangle some friends, you can mix 5 gallons at a time and pour while they are mixing the next one etc etc.

iced98lx - This may be an option if the estimate comes back too high. Great option if renting a mixer is more expensive than I want as well.

SPotter - I have thought this as well. The problem is the back wall were I plan to have the frag tank has some issues as well.

I feel better about what I did with my tank after reading this. That was almost my exact same process recently. I propped up the critical points with metal shims to level and then filled everything in to the forms with self leveling.

I used some heavy duty double sided tape to secure the forms to the floor (cement) and contain the leveling cement as much as possible.

I also ran a layer of duct tape on the inside of the forms prior to pouring to help them release easier from the cement.

Capped everything off with the trimwork to hide the ugly.

halmus - Welcome aboard. This is why sharing really helps. It's funny how most of the issues we encounter as reefers someone else has already experienced.

03/23/2017 - Continued

The uneven floor issue I have is I would have to make both sides have some type of raised area. So instead I just want to make it even. Also If I make any changes with the back wall layout I would have to make another raised area. In the picture below you can see the skeleton of the back table and the sink platform. The back wall I was thinking I would do in three parts but since I need to lower the sink I will make it in two parts. The area to the right of the sink is where the third part was going to go. Instead I will have a single platform where the sink and the two water containers will rest on.

Henry, if you cover material costs, I will fab and weld you some adjustable legs for the frag tanks and make you a sink support that hangs from the wall which will eliminate the need for legs on the sink.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Henry, if you cover material costs, I will fab and weld you some adjustable legs for the frag tanks and make you a sink support that hangs from the wall which will eliminate the need for legs on the sink.

Tom39 - Tom I will text you for more details on the legs. The sink will be OK because it has the utility pump under it.

04/01/2017
Not much progress today. Things are kinda on hold until I have the guy comes out next week to look at the floor. I have moved the back wall stand out of the fish room so space is kinda tight. I did mange to make the top and bottom parts for stand for the water storage and sink today. I cut the legs as well but did not attach until I follow up with Tom about his adjustable legs idea.

I spoke to Chuck over at Capitol Heights Iron Works about my stand modifications. The price did not go up too much so if you are in Maryland and need some custom work done so far the experience has been great. They are very reasonable price wise. Hopefully next week he will be able to start and I will go by the shop and take some pictures of any progress he has made and post back here.

So I have been a little behind on updating this thread. Work has been really busy but I hope to get back on track.

General Updates

04/04/2017 - Frag Tank Ordered

I decided that since I was already getting my main display from Miracles I would add a cool frag tank as well. So I measured how wide my back table was and had them build me custom frag tank.

Frag Tank
36x24 w internal 3 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

04/13/2017 - Uneven Floor and Back Table
So after talking to a few contractors I came to the conclusion that it was not worth the money to have the floor leveled. I can use that money on something else like a cool sump. So the back table that I had nailed and glued together will be taken apart and I will try to reuse the wood where possible. I talked to Tom (Tom39) and we decided I will just measure each leg independently and make the cuts as needed.

I am also going to redesign the area to the left of the sink. I plan on using two vertical 65 gallon tanks. I picked them up this past weekend and they are in the garage so I will try to get some pictures before the weekend but wan to see if they fit.​

04/13/2017 - Stand Construction Underway

My good buddy Chuck over at Capitol Heights Iron Works called me to stop by and I went by their shop to see some of their progress. So far this has been a great experience. If any questions come up or he is unclear on something he does not hesitate to call and ask me to stop by. The pictures below are the initial progress. The first two parts of the top are well underway and things are looking good.

Stand Bottom
IMG_0457 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Stand Top
IMG_0454 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Stand Top
IMG_0455 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

04/23/2017 - More Primmer and Paint
For my final coat of drywall primmer I choose some BEHR All in One Primmer Sealer. I used this stuff before and I liked the way it sealed some wood I was painting for my last stand. My good buddy Steve (SPotter) recommended Sherman Williams Water Based Epoxy for the fish room. I decided to use it on the walls matching the existing walls in the house. Eventually It will all flow together and hopefully look like it was part of the house originally.

Primmer
IMG_8740 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Paint
IMG_8752 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

04/29/2017 - Walls Finally Painted
I finally got the walls painted and most of the face plates back on the outlets and the fan grill installed. Minus a few imperfections overall I think things turned out pretty good. I stood back and patted myself on the back and felt pretty proud of the work I have done so far.

Walls finally painted
IMG_8759 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_8760 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Looks great! At this pace, I think that you will finish your build before I finish mine.

General Updates Continued
04/29/2017 - Floor Etching
While trying to decide on what I wanted to do with the floor I decided to try some concrete stain by BEHR. The stain is a two part mix with a one gallon base and then two smaller quarts to use. Before using the floor has to be etched and cleaned. I tried a dry form of an etching chemical but ended up using straight muriatic acid to really get the job done. I recommend a really good respirator mask (don't try the cheap ones...I almost passed out), open all windows possible, have a fan bringing in fresh air, have a another sprayer filled with a baking soda mixture, and do not have any metal tools around or near the room where you are using the acid. On contact with the concrete the acid creates a yellow cloud and starts fizzing and any metal that the cloud touches will appear to be rusted and it does not come off. I prepped the walls with plastic and went to work and filled my new sprayer with the acid. To stop the acid you need to apply the backing soda mixture to neutralize the acid. Make sure to clean the flow well.

Concrete Stain Base
IMG_8772 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Accent Stain
IMG_8773 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Sacrificial Sprayer
IMG_8761 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Drylok Etch (not really strong)
IMG_8766 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Floors Prepped and Walls Taped
IMG_8777 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_8780 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

04/30/2017 - Updates on Tank

I talked to Derek and asked if there were any updates on the tank and the pictures below are what he sent over. He also mentioned that they were starting on my frag tank so things should start moving along pretty fast.

Tank - 82" x 40" x 26" :) this baby is gonna be huge
IMG_5497 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

IMG_2630 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

05/08/2017 - Stand Updates
Chuck gave me a call about the stand and asked me to stop by. He had a question on how I wanted the walk rail attached and if the idea they had about making bracket to hold the walk rail. The pictures below are the current progress and hopefully should not be much longer before they are done. The stand will still need to be primed and I think I will have them use some Rust-Oleum Black Hammer paint. I am not sure if I will need to add a protective layer over top of it but I liked the look on a sample piece of metal they showed me. The stand will be screwed together once everything is in place. They still have to make the leveling feet, drill holes in the gussets, and finish the walk rail but things are coming along pretty good.

Top of Stand with Walk Rail Sleeve
IMG_8784 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Walk Rail Sleeve
IMG_8785 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Bottom of Stand
IMG_8786 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

I will try to make some more updates tomorrow. I need to charge the camera battery and get some pictures of the floor in its current state.

Looks great! At this pace, I think that you will finish your build before I finish mine.

Tom - You are well ahead of me...you have water in yours! I am jealous about how fast you were able to add an addition onto your house and set up a tank in the time it has taken me to finish one room in the basement...lol.

awesome update!!!! glad to see you went with the one part epoxy. How do you like it?

Steve - I like it a lot so far I have seen where stuff just kinda wipes off without any issue issues. When I did the floor I got some stain on the walls and was able to wipe it off with no issues. The places where I let it sit that is a different story...lol.

05/02/2017 - Ordered Sand For Tank
I guess I am old school on a reef tank is not a reef tank without sand so after a few discussions with various reefers I decided I needed sand in this tank as well. In the past I have had fairly deep sand beds but this time around the sand bed will not be as deep. I also plan on getting a sand sifting goby or some other fish/critter that keeps the sand overturned. The sand under the rocks has always been a detritus pit but I think I may have a solution. I have have been reading a few threads about using epoxy mixed with sand to keep detritus from settling under the rock.

I plan on having a few base pieces where the sand and epoxy mix will act as the base and the larger rocks will set on top. Detritus will not be able to settle in the sand and I can just use a turkey blaster to keep it from settling. Well that is the plan so we will see how it turns out. I need to find the right epoxy to use and place an order. PetsMart had a sale on CaribSea Aragonite Aquarium Reef Sand that I could not pass up so I ordered a few bags. Each box contains one bag. When the FexEx guy arrived last week I felt bad and helped the guy unload the truck...lol. They have been setting in the garage for a week or so. Please excuse the box of cooking oil...that's for tailgating season.

IMG_8795 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

05/10/2017 - Started prepping Lumber for Back Table
I started cutting some boards for my new back table. The top and bottom rails and the runners. The legs will be cut individually. One tool when making my stands I have always used was a pocket hole jig. I had a small one but once I started planning for this upgrade and after seeing Tom (Tom39) use the K5 when he helped with the ceiling drywall I brought one. I have had this a while but wanted to show point out its a great tool to have.

Future Back Table
IMG_8812 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Pocket Jig
IMG_0352 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

05/13/2017 - Picked Up Water Storage Containers
While home for Mother's Day I visited AgriSupply to pick up two Norwesco 65 gallon vertical tanks. They had the best prices that I could find without paying for shipping and I wanted to see them in person before purchasing them. They have 1-1/4 threaded drain opening so I need to pick up some plumping parts and figure out how I will plumb them together. This will give me the ability to do a 65 gallon water change or 130 gallon if something goes really wrong.

Model: 45192
Capacity: 65 gallon
Polyethylene construction
Height: 43 in.
Diameter: 23 in.
Fill opening: 8 in.
Outlet/drain: 1-1/4 in.
Self-vented, slosh-proof lid

65 Gallon Vertical Tank
IMG_8806 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

05/18/2017 - Floor Update

I have been working on the floor and think I am almost done with making it look random. I am going to let the floor dry out another day or two and then look to add the sealer. Tonight I had planned on touching up the walls near the bottom where I got stain on the walls but ended up painting the whole room again. The floor came out much darker than the sample was on the BEHR pamphlet. I am not sure if it is because it is indoors or the sample was really off. Overall I think I like the way it turned out but I am not sure how durable it will be. In any account it will look cool for a while :).

Floor
IMG_8793 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Up Close
IMG_8794 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

I really like the forward progress Henry. All that work looks great and I cant wait for the build trip/date.

I see that you have a dust pan to use, too.

I really like the forward progress Henry. All that work looks great and I cant wait for the build trip/date.

I see that you have a dust pan to use, too.

Larry - I am getting excited about the progress again man! You better get that garage cleaned out the weather is not excuse anymore. Yea I have a big dust pan...lol. I may post a picture in my next update for Richard...lol.

General Updates
05/23/2017 - Floor Update

I finally finished sealing the floor and I hope it will stand up to the use of traffic and normal wear and tear from buckets and such. I also put down my base trim. I ended up buying some adhesive and a spreading tool to make sure adhesive was spread evenly. I did not have a roller to run across the trim once on the wall but ended up using a candle to roll along the trim. As the candle rolled over the trim you could hear the suction taking place. Hopefully this is glued on well. After the trim was put down I added a some clear caulk along the floor and bottom of the trim.

Walls prepped and first coat of sealer down
IMG_8848 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Goes on milky white but clears up clear
IMG_8851 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Touch up paint and trim finished
20170524_214225 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

05/25/2017 - Tank Update

I talked to Derek and the tank is done. I would have had it on June 1st but the logistics did not work out. I will plan to get the tank on Father's day weekend and round up some people to help move the tank into the basement through the egress window. I am a little worried I can see the glass on the frag tank but I guess they ship things all the time so hopefully it will make the trip from Canada to the US safely.

All crated up

Message_1495733227423 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

05/25/ - 06/01/2017 - Water and Sink Station

So the back table and the water and sink station have been through a few changes. I now finally have a layout that should work. I had to make some modifications again due to space issues. The back table also will be changed once again to accommodate getting a 48 inch AquaBox sump in the space for my frag tank.

Proposed layout
20170527_130129 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Work in progress - will have two 22" L x 17" W x 10" H drawers
IMG_8875 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

05/31/2017 -Sump update
I have been trying to find someone to make a custom sump but prices are just ridiculous once you get over 48" and factor in shipping. One good thing about local clubs is people do some great work or know of some people that can match quality of some of the big manufacturers. I emailed a few companies but did not hear back anything from them and almost began to get frustrated about the process. Finally I found Pure Reef Systems and I have been in talks with Brendan about a custom sump and top-off container. We worked together to design the sump and I am now waiting on a quote for a sump and top-off container.

06/02/2017 - Stand Update

My stand was finally ready to be picked up and I was really looking forward to getting this stand home. I picked up the stand from Capitol Heights Iron Works and was told by Chuck before arriving two people would be able to manage the stand. When I arrived to have them load it on the truck I finally realized how big this thing was and how heavy it was. Lucky for me Richard (RJT) does not live far and had already agreed to help me get the stand into the house. I let him know upfront we may need some extra hands and the stand was heavier than I expected. When he arrived and saw it on the back of my truck I could tell his first reaction was "I should probably get back in my car, pretend he did not see me and go home"...lol. As we were about to pull the truck around back one of my neighbors saw us and came over to see what I was doing and ended up helping us. We unloaded the stand in two parts and were able to bring it through the egress window with room to spare on my homemade ramp with stopping points. Thanks again Richard for not complaining, not running when you saw the stand, and helping me out!

Capitol Heights Iron Works crew
20170602_163552 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Ramp I quickly threw together
20170602_180829 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Front view
IMG_8867 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Side view
IMG_8866 by LifeThrough_TheLense, on Flickr

Back