Jennystyyle’s Red Sea Nano Max G2 Journal

Thanks. I’m trying to right my mistakes that I made on my last tank lol. And being a nano, I want slow to keep it interesting rather than just monitor.
I’m thinking 1 fish. Wait a month. Then snails. Wait a month first Zoanthid. Wait a month second fish….
Sounds like a good plan.

Your thread is really inspiring me. I am thinking I might start an envelope of cash lol

I know our reefing will slow down during the summer months when we shift gears to PNW boating season but I'm thinking more and more that a 35g all in one would be a great upgrade for our current tank.
I’m in the same boat. We have our boat in a marina on the Mississippi. Plus, we vacation at the Lake of the Ozarks at least once a summer. With the warm weather lately, I’m ready for some bass fishing.

Ahh yes. Summer. We spend a lot of time at our campground. We have a permanent sit for our RV. then go boating and sea-doing up near Georgian bay in Ontario 4th of July week.

Camp is close to home so I can stop in and monitor the tank. Additions will definitely slow in the summer though

Ahh yes. Summer. We spend a lot of time at our campground. We have a permanent sit for our RV. then go boating and sea-doing up near Georgian bay in Ontario 4th of July week.

Camp is close to home so I can stop in and monitor the tank. Additions will definitely slow in the summer though
Awesome!!!

The Mississippi would be nice. But I love Michigan and Ontario for the summer lake fun!
Our marina is 30 minutes from our house, so that’s nice. I grew up with my grandparents having a cabin on the Lake of the Ozarks. But, it’s gotten so popular/crowded that a 2 bed 1 bath 900 sq fr house on the lake is $350K

Hey all - Hopefully I can clarify my question with the history of the tank parameters
Start off it is a Red Sea 20 Gallon Nano G2
Nyos Pure Salt
Test kit - Hanna Reef Master. Note the Nitrite Kit is in ppBILLION (not million). So I am maxing out the kit with the 200 PPB or 0.2 PPM reading
The ammonia and Nitrates are doing exactly as I expect and dropping off to near zero, being a photometer, not color chart, I expect that I will always have a registerable reading. If I view the color, it appears to be 0 but it always gives a reading.
The concern is with the Nitrite. Being an ULR test it maxes out at 200 PPB. I'm struggling to get it to drop below the max capability, so I really have no idea where it really is. How important is Nitrite really in saltwater? Where should I go from here?
Dose small amounts of Ammonia and bacteria for a while?
Add a fish for ammonia source and dose bacteria?
Which bacteria would be best in this situation?
Recommendations for a good Nitirite test kit that measures in High Range? I hate color charts, but may need to resort to it

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-03-10 103637.png
    Screenshot 2024-03-10 103637.png
    151.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I figured out how to measure it on my kit.
I mixed 1/3 tank water with 2/3 fresh mix. The result was 148 ppb nitrite. Multiplied by 3 would make it 444 ppb or 0.444 ppm. Too high for my comfort.

I will add bacteria and ammonia source for another week or two and monitor further. I don’t want to rush it.

I figured out how to measure it on my kit.
I mixed 1/3 tank water with 2/3 fresh mix. The result was 148 ppb nitrite. Multiplied by 3 would make it 444 ppb or 0.444 ppm. Too high for my comfort.

I will add bacteria and ammonia source for another week or two and monitor further. I don’t want to rush it.
Math is bad, you made me dizzy🤣

Math is bad, you made me dizzy🤣
Lol. I love math! I’m a former engineer turned lunch lady at the schools (now a director of food services). Had a mid life career change.
It’s probably why I love the real numbers from the photometer rather than the color charts. lol

Tank is now 5 weeks old - Still no inhabitants. This is where I am at with it. Where would you go from here? I'm trying to get the nitrites down to the ZERO. I am dosing a capful of bacteria a day and 10 drops of Dr Tim's ammonia chloride to represent a fish daily to keep the bacteria working. Nitrites seem to be dropping very slowly, Nitrates rising slightly. Yesterday, I noticed some dark algae, reddish in color. I'll post a photo later when I can get a good picture with natural light. I'm sure that it is the beginning of the tank uglies that I am hoping to keep at bay before it gets out of control. First planned fish is a Royal Gramma, when the tank is ready.

All tests are done with the Marine Master Photometer at approximately 5am. Dosing and water changes are completed immediately following test completion. I'm sure the scatter is a combination of the test accuracy and my ability to measure 10 ml of sample consistently.

Attachments

• Tank parameters 03-17-24.png
    Tank parameters 03-17-24.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Ammonia 03-17-2024.png
    Ammonia 03-17-2024.png
    12 KB · Views: 6
  • Nitrite 03-17-2024.png
    Nitrite 03-17-2024.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Nitrate 03-17-2024.png
    Nitrate 03-17-2024.png
    11.8 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
I’m looking for zero nitrite. I may have stated wrong. I’ll have to look.

I change 1/2 gallon daily. Maybe I’ll do a bigger one today. 3 gallons. I estimate that it contains about 16 gallons after the live rock and sand. So maybe 3 gallon change

This is the algae that I have starting out. I can’t tell yet if it is Dino’s or cyano quite yet. The color is a bit more red than the photos show.

Attachments

• IMG_7284.jpeg
    IMG_7284.jpeg
    708.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_7285.jpeg
    IMG_7285.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I mean if it were me, I'd add low risk/cost inhabitants and watch how they react/contribute to the cycle then address the issues if it gets worse with water changes etc. but I'm sorta impatient and don't like staring at an empty tank. for my office tank I started with just snails, and then a rescue zoa. And then I added a single orchid dottyback. The fish is doing very well, the snails are keeping much of the algae at bay, the only thing struggling is the zoas are operating at about 50% but I am really starting to wonder if it's due to an insufficient light because I took some of them home to my main tank and after a couple weeks they started growing.

This is the algae that I have starting out. I can’t tell yet if it is Dino’s or cyano quite yet. The color is a bit more red than the photos show.
Sorry, I somehow missed this response. I'd agree with Dustin on next steps. Honestly, the algae you posted pictures of doesn't look bad to me and is likely just part of the ugly phase.

Back