Jennystyyle’s Red Sea Nano Max G2 Journal

It isn't too bad. :) And I tried skipping one day of dosing ammonia and the nitrite dropped like a rock. I may have been artificially maintaining it???
Ammonia Yesterday 0.08 ppm Today 0.07 ppm
Nitrite Yesterday 0.296 ppm. Today 0.158 ppm.
DateSGTemperature FAmmonia PPMNitrite PPMNitrate PPMPhosphateChange
3/14/2024​
1.02477.60.130.33221.68 cup water change
dosed 2 tsp phytoplankton
dosed 10 drops ammonia
Tested Nitrite 1/4 tank water, 3/4 new mix used syringe for measuring method
Added 1 capful of bacteria
3/15/20241.02477.90.090.32423.88 cup water change
dosed 10 drops ammonia
3/16/20241.02478.20.120.3423.18 cup water change
Noticed red algea starting on rock arch and sand
dosed 10 drops ammonia
3/17/20241.024780.10.336260.168 cup water change
Noticed red algea starting on rock arch and sand
dosed 10 drops ammonia
3/18/20241.02477.40.080.29625.90.078 cup water change
skipped dosing ammonia
Tested Nitrite 1/2 tank water, 1/2 new mix used syringe for measuring method
3/19/2024​
1.02477.60.070.15823.60.188 cup water change

I didn't dose again to see where it goes tomorrow morning.
I was thinking maybe 1 royal gramma and 1 zoa on Friday, since I am headed to Detroit airport anyway (Maybe stop at Tropicorium). I do have copepods in there and I can see them swimming around

And Dustin07, I am tired of looking at a box of rocks for a month and a half! lol

Last edited:
You very well could have been artificially increasing the nutrients.

Tropicorium huh? In Romulus, correct? Back before 9/11 I travelled to Farmington Hills a lot for work. I bought frags from there and took them are carryon luggage back home. After 9/11, I couldn’t do that anymore. Are they as big and aquaculturing a lot these days?

Yes, Romulus. live about 45 minutes from there and I haven’t been there since probably 2015 or so. My son will be traveling to Miami on Friday and I’m dropping him off at DTW. So… it might be a good opportunity to drop in.
I believe that they are but haven’t been there in years.

I don’t get that way often. I live in a smaller town and Covid spoiled me. I don’t leave the house much😂. I now hate Detroit traffic

Holy crap. I had no idea. I’m surprised that they didn’t force them to close up shop.

Back in 2014…. Hopefully they learned from their mistakes.

I like the LFS about 20 minutes away…. But they have steered me wrong in the past and when I was looking to get back in, I wanted to buy the aquarium from them. They said they’d have to call Red Sea and be on hold for a while to order it for me. They took my number and ghosted me. Sooooo, I ordered from BRS. I would have rather kept my money local. Their loss, I guess.

Yeah, I’m now remembering when it happened and I was shocked. That was under Dick’s ownership. If he’s still alive, I doubt he’s running the place. It’s more likely his son running it now.

Yeah, I’m now remembering when it happened and I was shocked. That was under Dick’s ownership. If he’s still alive, I doubt he’s running the place. It’s more likely his son running it now.
I was thinking the same thing. He was 80 back then

I'm thinking it may be good to go for the first fish on friday. But I'll wait for the next 2 mornings of testing. I'm predicting that the Nitrites will be about 0.02ppm and ammonia 0.06ppm Friday morning. Hopefully the LFS has a Royal Gramma in stock
DateSGTemperature FAmmonia PPMNitrite PPMNitrate PPMPhosphateChange
3/20/2024​
1.02477.30.070.09021.10.148 cup water change
Cleaned Filter sock

Looks like good progress. For crying out loud, what time do you wake up in the mornings? I thought I was an early bird at 5:00 AM and here you are posting at 3:40😱

Remember, I’m on eastern time. Typically 3 or 4 am lol
But in bed by 9:00 pm
Yes, I’m getting old 😂

Last edited:
Griss,

Thought you might find this interesting

Also, got my Royal gramma yesterday. He is in QT for a bit.
Thanks for sharing.

Awesome on the Gramma. Just left my Petco (need frozen food). They had 4 Grammas. I would have gotten one but, two of the four were laying on the sand gasping😕

Ugh. Rescue from Petco.
I ended up getting him from fish doctors, Canton, MI. by the time I dropped my son off at DTW, tropicorium was closed. The Fish Doctors in Ypsilanti was out of stock.

I need to check out a LFS in Toledo that wasn’t around back when I had my last tank.

As I was dialing in some of the parameters and learning on how to have good repeatability on some of my tests (I am getting better at it, especially the calcium test, which is very touchy. I noticed that my calcium, ph, magnesium, Alk were all running on the low side. I was questioning my salt and bringing it up from 1.024 to 1.025 to help. I recalibrated my salinity checker and found that it creeped down and I was closer to 1.020 - 1.021 eek. So..... I'm starting to slowly raise the salinity. I am also trying to read in PPT instead of SG, its new to me, but maybe more precise

Being only the royal gramma in there, it's probably not a big deal but I want to get it right before starting corals.

DateSGTemperature FAmmonia PPMNitrite PPMNitrate PPMPHPhosphateCalciumAlkMagnesiumChange
3/31/2024​
403​
7.2​
1205​
8 cup water change
Changed salinity reading to PPT
Salt mix batch claim: 35ppt Ca 430, Alk 8.4, Mg 1329

I calibrated my salinity meter 3x to verify the problem😂

I did a calculation on the parameters at the current salinity, At 84% of 35ppt, the alk and mg are right in line with what the salt mix reads. Calcium, however would be high. More practice may be needed testing it. 0.1 ml of saltwater is tricky to get perfect 😂. I to have quite a bit of scatter with that reading.

Back