Marco or micro lens?

JVan82

I have a Nikon 5500, was curious what lens is needed for those great up close pictures? I thought it was a macro lens, but then I saw micro lens and got confused. Thanks in advance for your help/insight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It depends on what you're looking at. Some older Nikon lens were called micros. The terms get intertwined. Some lenses that say they are macros, really aren't. Look at the numbers on the lens. It somewhere should say 1:1. This is the magnification of the lens. For instance, I have the Nikon 105mm 2.8 macro, which basically means, at 105mm the lens will produce an image the same size as the image in real life.

It depends on what you're looking at. Some older Nikon lens were called micros. The terms get intertwined. Some lenses that say they are macros, really aren't. Look at the numbers on the lens. It somewhere should say 1:1. This is the magnification of the lens. For instance, I have the Nikon 105mm 2.8 macro, which basically means, at 105mm the lens will produce an image the same size as the image in real life.
Thank you, do you have a picture handy from that lens?

vsNPR89.jpg

Nice! Thank you, so what lens are people using for those close up coral shots?

Same one for Nikon users. You used to be able to go cheaper and get off brand lenses, but the cost has evened out over the past few years. You can look into older lenses, but most won't auto focus on the camera body you have. This doesn't mean a lot because you should manually focus shooting close up. I didn't shoot my last tank so I don't have many pics from it. You can see pics from the tank before that in my blog. I use to have a bowfront tank which because of the curved glass wouldn't photograph well.

Same one for Nikon users. You used to be able to go cheaper and get off brand lenses, but the cost has evened out over the past few years. You can look into older lenses, but most won't auto focus on the camera body you have. This doesn't mean a lot because you should manually focus shooting close up. I didn't shoot my last tank so I don't have many pics from it. You can see pics from the tank before that in my blog. I use to have a bowfront tank which because of the curved glass wouldn't photograph well.
Thank you, for the info! Really appreciate it.

Back