My 1300 gallon addiction: A Miami reef build story.

Actually I have considered running an algae scrubber on the system, and is the reason why I incorporated the refugium from the first design phase. It's about 80 or so gallons, and although has taken a bit to really get going, had recently taken off in the algae growing department. It's filled with about 100lbs of rock as well...and hosts a perches clown and line blue damsel that were gifted from a buddy out of his 10 gallon.

Actually I have considered running an algae scrubber on the system, and is the reason why I incorporated the refugium from the first design phase. It's about 80 or so gallons, and although has taken a bit to really get going, had recently taken off in the algae growing department. It's filled with about 100lbs of rock as well...and hosts a perches clown and line blue damsel that were gifted from a buddy out of his 10 gallon.

I was thinking of something similar

posted using electrical charges

Looking nice. Love the Wrasse. Hell come out sooner rather than later. I was reading up on Algae Scrubbers. Seems like a lot of upkeep though no?

Thanks, and you were right, the wrasse came out yesterday and has been quite social since. Hopefully he helps with some of those spots of flatworms.

I have heard the algae scrubbers are awesome but are also a bit of maintenance, I guess weekly...but with the refugium on my system, I'd say I pull and throw out a few big handfuls of macro algae every 10 days or so...that's it. Since the lights are on timers, there's not much else for me to do there. Nitrates still hovering around 10ppm and phosphates undetectable as of today's testing.

I try and swap out my 5 filter socks every 3 days, and replace new filter floss inside my overflow every week. So far this protocol seems to work ok and takes me maybe 30 minutes a week, total. Aside from that I try and swap 250 gallons of water monthly and change carbon monthly as well. Rowaphos I change every 60 days or so.

He'll definitely take care of the worms. They are relentless lol.you don't feed the sump algae to your tangs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd feed the caulerpa to my tangs 3-4 times a week. I had a nice sized mix of tangs. Their colors were great. Thanks a mil for helping out today. Much appreciated. Literally stood in front of the stand for about an hr lol.

Man killer tank. I was like I know that grafted montipora from somewhere. Then realized "wait this guy is from Miami I am from Miami." And figured out it was the one I gave you lol. Nice to see it in your tank. Looking good! Being the owner of a large system also I recommend automate as much as possible.

Thanks Guys!

Danny, yeah, I can totally relate to standing in front of the tank, or a new piece of equipment and just day dreaming. My wife catches me often just standing across the room watching the fish swimming and she proceeds to make fun of me...oh well, lol.

Alex, yeah the grafted monti is one of my favorites in the tank and is already encrusting nicely. I'm really looking forward to seeing it take off. I'm sure I'll see you soon for another coral fix! Haha.

Pedro helped me out like a beast tonight and we ended up doing a much needed full service to the system. Cleaned everything, swaped socks, carbon, Rowaphos, siphoned the entire sand bed (no quick task btw) and completed a 250 gallon water change. I know the inhabitants will really appreciate it.

Tomorrow I'll do a solid round of testing and see how things are progressing.

Yeah, I have a nice amount of chaetomorpha growing in there...I pull out some weekly for nutrient export purposes.

They will not eat the chaetomorpha... but you could mix in some other types of macro algae (caulerpa and dragons breath!) and they'll go nuts for it. And it's one of the absolutely best foods you can give them. Their colors will be fantastic as well.

Thanks Guys!

Danny, yeah, I can totally relate to standing in front of the tank, or a new piece of equipment and just day dreaming. My wife catches me often just standing across the room watching the fish swimming and she proceeds to make fun of me...oh well, lol.

When the baby gets big enough and sits and stares at the tank and gives you guys 10 minutes of silence, she'll be talking about how that tank is the best thing ever.

They will not eat the chaetomorpha... but you could mix in some other types of macro algae (caulerpa and dragons breath!) and they'll go nuts for it. And it's one of the absolutely best foods you can give them. Their colors will be fantastic as well.

is this a norm for tangs? I had a blue hippos and yellow tang that would devoir chaeto when ever i put it in the display from the fuge.

What denitrator did you run on your 210?

Awesome build. I showed it to the wife so my future plans wouldn't seem so outrageous.

Thanks TheFishGuy31! Haha I remember doing similar in the initial "wife pitch" stage...

I used a Korallin s-1502 sulphur denitrator on the 210, and I have to say it worked like a charm. It was a bit finicky to get dialed in initially, but after a bit it quickly dropped my nitrates from 50+ppm to ZERO. It was probably the most efficient piece of quipment I had on the entire system. As its too small for the new tank, I gave it my buddy who now has it rockin successfully on his 300.

I have been flirting seriously with the idea of ordering a custom GEO sulphur reactor, but in the last month or so, my nitrates have reduced from about 30ppm to 2.5-3ppm as of yesterday. So right now it seems as though the Biotower and refugium are dialed in and working well. Hopefully they stay as such, as it would save me about $900!

What I really need to do is get the stenner dual head pump and start running the daily auto water change system instead of the monthly large (250g) water changes. I think it will be beneficial from a stability standpoint.

I was looking into the Koralin denitrator fro my set up. How often do you need to replace your media or does it dissolve similar to a Calcium reactor?

I think the manufacturer recommends to replace the media every year to 1.5 years, from what I remember, but I don't remember it dissolving in any way. I ran it for about a year and knew I would be breaking down the system, so I didn't replace it.

It seriously worked great.

Back