My 1300 gallon addiction: A Miami reef build story.

Some people were recommending me to use Ozone in the place of a UV. What do you think about ozone generators?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have heard good things about ozone for water clarity, but also that it should not be a substitute for a UV. I am actually looking to add a UV myself and am contemplating adding ozone in the future but again, not as a substitute. Bulk Reef supply has a solid video on ozone that explains it well.

I'd go UV whether or not ozone is a possibility...just my 2 cents.

They were the ones who recommended it to me. Love you tube but where was it when I was feeding. I watch the 52 weeks. They told me that a UV for our system requires a 300 watt which would run like 3000 whereas a Ozone system would run around 1 k. I asked about icky and he said it does contain that as well. Lots of carbon with it. For the air at the outflow etc. I was looking at a 150 watt UV with a blade for 1k and change but he hit me with 300!! Darn

Look in to an oxidator as an alternative to ozone.
It essentially does the same thing as an ozone system without all the drawbacks. You can't overdose, it doesn't have to be fed into the skimmer, you don't have to add carbon, etc.

I'm going to check into the Oxydator...sounds really promising.

I think an 800 gallon system should be fine with a 150watt UV, but I'm no expert. I think that water flow through the unit, within reason, is the most important aspect of a UV. I imagine if water is sent through slow enough but efficiently enough, the light will hit it for a long enough period to have the intended beneficial effects. I don't think a 300 watt is necessary.

Anim this is very interesting to me. How large would I need for 720 or 1000 as I suppose you have to figure in the sump as well

Each of their "large" units is good for 150 gallons. They used to make one for ponds which would work but some of their older pond sized ones leaked so they are hard to find. You could DIY your own as it's basically just a diluted h2o2 solution with a catalyst to produce the o2.
I have three in my 500 gallon system.

Danny what is the function of the heat exchanger? Forgive my ignorance lol. Anim so I would need 5. Is there somewhere to get the plans? I'm the least handiest person by far lol

Although I'm no technical expert by any stretch, but my simple understanding is that the heat exchanger is the equivalent of the "coil" in an air conditioning system, which receives the super cooled (by outdoor condenser) freon into the titanium coil inside the exchanger, and it dissipates that cooler temperature into the water as it passes through the exchanger housing. If anyone has an actual technical answer, I'm confident it would explain the function better (and would be welcome).

The 1.5hp unit we installed on this system is a beast, even with the 2 x 400watt halides and 8 bulb T5.

Oh yeah, absolutely. It's a chiller that (as separate units it's presumably more efficient) is likely much more commercial in nature.

This particular brand, universal marine industries is commonly used in the commercial aquarium/aquaculture industry.

How does it compare to a chiller coastwise initially and long term as far as electric cost and replacement of parts etc? Do you think I would require a similar unit using LED lighting?

How does it compare to a chiller coastwise initially and long term as far as electric cost and replacement of parts etc? Do you think I would require a similar unit using LED lighting?

I don't think you would need a chiller with LED lighting. I don't run one on any of my tanks (they all have LEDs) and they are generally around room temperature, maybe a degree or two higher.

I didn't even think about feeding the algae to the tangs..but I'm going to try it!

Doing this will re-release the nutrients in the algae, (PO4/NO3) back into the water column.

Not a bad thing or a deal breaker, just something to keep in mind.

I know Maxx but it's broken down again and it keeps your fish looking healthy and it's organic lol. Water changes should also take out the nutrients but would it not be the same as feeding any other meal in its place?

Yes, it's just like any other meal...adding nutrients...but just like your signature says:
Nothings Free in this hobby.

Thanks for the input on the Bashsea sump. Ended up ordering a custom one from him. Should ship in the next week or so [emoji1]

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Back