New Members and Introductions

So here I am--My name is Eric and I've been addicted to salt water ever since August. I put up my first nano reef on 9/26/10
Dimensions - 16" L x 8" W x 19" H and just upgraded to a 29 Biocube! And also I just picked up the new Fluval spec this christmas! Just glad to be here.

Welcome Eric :) If you have any questions please feel free to ask. The first year in the hobby is the hardest but probably the best when it comes to learning a bunch of new things. We all learn things everyday whoop whoop! Congrats on the Fluval Spec. I was eye balling those at some of our local sponsors. Pretty nice little pico. What town are you from? Don't forget if you haven't done so to register on our website http://nvreefers.org :D again welcome!!

-Ryan

@ Sean. Welcome. Good to see another Tracy'ite on the forum as well. What are you planning on getting your masters/phd in?

@ Eric. Everyone remembers their first tank. Start a build thread with plenty of notes and pictures to capture the excitment and share your adventure with the rest of us.

Scott

Hi,

My name is Julie and I currently have a BF 46 g tank that Ive had up for the past three years as a FO tank. Within the last 5 months I have slowly been converting to a mixed reef tank. Im currently running my Cyclone Bak-Pak, Fluval, and lighting is T5. I have a Blue Tang, Coral Beauty, Tomato Clown, Fox Face and a couple of Gobies. Coral wise I have a hammer coral, orange acan, mushrooms, ricordia, GSP, Kenya tree, Yellow Star polyps, and a Toadstool. Things seem to be going good. Some of my mushrooms have propogated, hammer is growing and GSP spreading. Im really thinking I would like to add a sump/refugium but dont know if I really need to. What do you think? Any advice would be great. Im excited about this hobby and looking forward to meeting other people here locally who have the same interest. Glad I found this forum!

Hello and welcome Julie :D How did you hear about the forum? Adding a sump has a lot of advantages over running everything in the tank. Skimmer wise there are more options, and also with a heavier bioload such as yours, skimming would be optimal. If you live or work near one of our sponsors I'd be willing to meet up and talk about setting possibly the best options for you :) I work in Salida and frequent our sponsors quite a bit lately.

Again welcome and please feel free to start a new thread and post your progress with your tank.

-Ryan

Thanks Ryan and Jeff for the welcome. I heard about NVR online after doing a search for local reef clubs. Ryan any help and suggestions would be great. Id be happy to meet with you one day next week. There is a Starbucks right by Tropical Haven so maybe we could meet up there.

I know my tank has a heavy bioload in it,but Im just not willing right now to give up my fish. Ideally I would love to get a bigger tank, but low on cash for that right now. Anyway, I plan on starting a thread like you suggested. Im sure all you experienced reefers out there will be happy to give me some great advice :)

Thanks Ryan and Jeff for the welcome. I heard about NVR online after doing a search for local reef clubs. Ryan any help and suggestions would be great. Id be happy to meet with you one day next week. There is a Starbucks right by Tropical Haven so maybe we could meet up there.

I know my tank has a heavy bioload in it,but Im just not willing right now to give up my fish. Ideally I would love to get a bigger tank, but low on cash for that right now. Anyway, I plan on starting a thread like you suggested. Im sure all you experienced reefers out there will be happy to give me some great advice :):spin2:

We are glad that you found us. Ryan is a great guy and always has his Hand out for fellow reefers and his knowledge of our hobby will defininaltly help you out for your future plans. If you ever need any help that we can't give you post on our forums there are years of reefimg experience there. Once you finally figure out your upgrade plans lmk I'll help you out. And again welcome

Julie I know which exact Starbucks that is. I work in Salida so just PM me your contact info and we can meet up. I am in no ways an expert at all but I can hopefully tell you all the things I did wrong and still do wrong hahahaha. But I think I've made some okay moves also :) Asking questions and reading is the key to success in this hobby. BTW thanks for the kind words Jeff :D

Hi all. My name is Adam, I live in Turlock, and I've been reefing for about 8 months now.
My tank is a 55 softie with a Tropical Haven TED 4x54W T5HO fixture. I've got two Ocelaris Clowns, a PJ card, a Bicolor Dwarf angel, and a mandy as far as fish. I'm still pretty light on the corals, mostly nothing special zoos that started as 1 or 2 polyps, some mushrooms, a toadstool, xenia, and Kenya Tree coral. Oh, and I have a GBTA as well. I tried a green brain, and ricordia and they didn't take, so figured I'd work on water quality a bit before trying anything else.
I recently made the switch to in home RODI, and that seems to be clearing up all the GHA I had.
I look forward to meeting some of you at the next event!

BTW, I'm getting ready to prune some chaeto, so if anyones looking for a free starter culture with pods and bristles hit me up.

Hi Adam welcome. You should start a tank build thread with pictures in the nvr forum. If you have any questions pm Ryan.

welcome to NVR adam. glad you found our forum and like colin said post a tank thread we would love to see it.

Welcome Adam. If you're ever around the CSU area, I live about a mile away and you're more than welcome to come check out my tank

+1 on a tank thread

Welcome to NVR Adam. Nice to see a lot of new people turning up these days. Especially in the Modesto area :) If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Looks like you're doing your research which is always the right foot forward in this hobby. As already mentioned start a thread for your tank. It's always nice to see what others are doing with their tanks. Again, welcome to NVR! :D

Hello, my name is Arron. I met Ryan outside of Tropical Haven a couple weeks ago and told him I'd check out the forum and join the club! I currently have a 75 gallon tank with a 29 gallon sump. I'm pretty new to saltwater tanks and this will be a mixed reef aquarium. I'm suffering from empty tank syndrome because I'm still waiting for my stand to be built so I can finally fill this thing up! Hopefully i can meet new friends and learn a lot through everyone else's experience here!

Arron!!! Wuddup man! Glad you were able to find us :D Any questions, please go ahead and ask. There is a TON of information from our seasoned and newer members. You happen to find us at the right time, when the forum here has been jumping. Thanks for posting and welcome to NVR, your new home away from home :)

Back